Thursday, January 18, 2007

Feed Me, Seymour

I've now entered the world of RSS feeds, and am loving it. Having access to the news and information from the sites I regularly visit, without having to visit them all, is brilliant. And ad-free, to boot. Again, how in the world have I not been taking advantage of this until now? I have no excuses.
The account setup process at Bloglines was simple, and the listing of recommended feeds displayed while signing up was helpful. I've added many more on my own, and have quite a list of others I plan to, which brings me to my only concern...
Although feeds will save me the time formerly wasted on linking to various sites, and slogging through ads, the ease of adding new feeds to my list makes the volume of information I want to read through much greater. How much time do I expect to spend reading all this? I think I'll have to pick and choose my feeds a bit more carefully.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Don't forget - part of your job as a librarian is to be up-to-date and familiar with the books, materials and programs that you all offer. Blog reading is an EXCELLENT way to do this - and is work-friendly, too!

Bobbi Newman said...

One thing I do to help manage my 190+ feeds is organize them in to folders. Some folders I read the new feeds everyday (like for this program) and some I skim once a week. Hope that helps!