Wednesday, January 3, 2007

What is an EyeOh?

It lives! As part of Missouri River Regional Library's Learning Library 2.0, I've created my niche in the blogosphere... But what, exactly, is an EyeOh?

Back in '88, fresh from college and living in California, I was a big fan of Depeche Mode, the English synth band. Discovering my roomie's synth collecting dust in the corner, I began picking out Mode melodies on it, playing along with my cassette tapes. Five years and one horrendous garage band later, I stumbled across OctaMED, computer-based music composition software, and have been using different flavors of such software ever since. Needing a "band" name for myself, I settled on Io (io), a reference to Jupiter's volatile inner moon. This name soon evolved into EyeOh, the same name written phonetically. Over the years, I've written several CDs worth of music, and collaborated with fellow MED users as far away as Ireland and England. I'm not certain I've helped make them better musicians, but I couldn't help but learn from them.

Is this blog work related? No, but now perhaps when you read the name EyeOh, it won't remind you of singing dwarves.

2 comments:

Robin said...

That's a great story! Though I have to admit, my first thought was for Eyore, from Winnie The Pooh (you've got to admit that it's close...). Welcome to the project - we're excited to have you on board!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I thought Eyore too! Sorry Eric. Congrats on your first post and setting up your blog!