Wednesday, January 24, 2007

North Dakota, It's Nothing Personal


Having clicked on various states at http://douweosinga.com/projects/visitedstates, I discovered what I'd known for some time- I've visited a majority of the US. Unfortunately, having seen my travels displayed on a map, I've learned something new... Apparently, I hate North Dakota. I hadn't realized this. It sits atop my map, lonely and white, in a sea of red. Sure, I've not been to the New England states, or the extreme southeast, but at least they are able to handle the rejection as a group. Even Michigan and Wisconsin can hug one another for support. But not poor, sad North Dakota.

My unknowing rejection makes me want to plan a trip. After all, the Roughrider State has much to offer, including Theodore Roosevelt National Park, International Peace Garden, and approximately fifty million tons of open space. But apparently, being the northern sister of a state with huge granite faces is enough to keep me away. North Dakota, I promise it's not personal.